On-Site Hydrogen Plant Under Deveopment
The company said it will further develop the on-site distributed hydrogen generation market with a $2.8 million continuation of an award from the Energy Department’s Advanced Manufacturing Office.
FuelCell Energy will install a sub-megawatt fuel cell power plant at its manufacturing facility in Torrington, Conn., to generate hydrogen, electricity and heat. The plant will replace hydrogen that is currently purchased and delivered to the facility via truck, and replacing electricity purchased from the electric grid.
The project is intended to enable market development for distributed hydrogen used for industrial purposes. It should also reduce purchasing and transport costs, and eliminate the need for on-site hydrogen storage. The company believes there is a potential market size of $1.6 billion for the tri-generation DFC-H2 fuel cell power plant serving the industrial and mobility markets in the United States.
This DFC-H2 installation can generate about 135 kilograms of hydrogen per day which generally meets the daily requirements of many industrial hydrogen users. Once commercially available, the production cost of the hydrogen from DFC plants is expected to be competitively priced within a range of $5 to $7 per kilogram or even lower with increased production volumes.
While this industrial application is the first of its kind, a DFC-H2 project has been operating for over two years, converting biogas from the Orange County Sanitation District (OCSD) in Fountain Valley, Calif., into renewable hydrogen for vehicle fueling. This installation generates 250 kilowatts of power.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement