On-Site Power Briefing: SolarCity, Los Angeles Schools, Heidelberger Druckmaschinen, James Cropper, Poindexter Nut, Cenergy Power
SolarCity says its 7.4 MW solar power project that will bring renewable energy to 26 Los Angeles Unified School District schools will save the district more than $776,000 in the first year and more than $25 million over the next 20 years. Seventeen schools have already been installed, and SolarCity has contracted with the District to install an additional nine schools by the first half of 2013.
Heidelberger Druckmaschinen has opened a 2 MW cogeneration plant at the offset printing press manufacturer’s Wiesloch-Walldorf site in Germany. The company expects power and heat generated by the new plant to reduce its total energy costs at the site by about 10 percent. The CHP plant will supply about 20 percent of the current electricity requirements by burning natural gas, and will reduce the amount of CO2 released into the atmosphere by 3,700 metric tons a year, the company says.
Poindexter Nut and Cenergy Power have begun constructing a 1.1 MW solar PV system at the walnut company’s processing facility in Selma, Calif. Cenergy Power will design and build the system, which the companies expect to generate more than 1.7 million kWh of solar power annually, offsetting more than 65 percent of the facility’s energy consumption and saving the plant $6,000,000 in energy costs over the next 25 years.
James Cropper has been awarded a £3.15 million ($5.02 million) Regional Growth Fund grant for a waste-to-energy plant at Burneside, according to the Cumbria, UK-based paper manufacturer. A mixture of solid recovered fuel (SRF) produced by Shanks from Cumbrian municipal waste and the company’s own paper-making effluent residues will fuel the plant. James Cropper says SRF is about 50 percent biomass in content and could have energy-saving benefits for other industries.
- The World Resources Institute Scope 2 Guidance: A Verifier’s Perspective
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards