Ongoing Commissioning vs. Retro Commissioning: a Source of Confusion
Many building owners express confusion about commissioning, according to a speaker on an Energy Manager Today webinar held earlier this week.
“One thing we hear quite a bit in the market is: what is the difference between retro commissioning or monitoring-based commissioning versus fault detection diagnostics?” said Craig Engelbrecht, director of Smart Services and Technology at Siemens Industry, during the “Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance,” webinar (now available on demand).
Engelbrecht said there are clear differences between the following:
Existing Building Commissioning (EBCx) also referred to as retro commissioning, involves work in the plan, evaluate and implement phases and will rely on people, processes and technologies in order to commission the building to today’s requirements and set KPI for expected operations.
Monitoring Based Commissioning (MBCx), also referred to as ongoing/continuous commissioning, involves ongoing service and data driven measurement and reporting the KPIs for expected operations of today’s requirements and verification of facility improvement measures. Like EBCx, a combination of people, process and technology are necessary for a successful MBCx program.
Fault Detection and Diagnostics (FDD) is an important tool that can be leveraged to create quick and cost effective results of data analysis of equipment/systems to find problems during the evaluate, service and measure phases. FDD relies heavily on technology in order to be successful.
“Existing building commissioning looks at the current days’ building requirements, and it implements what it finds,” said Engelbrecht. But monitoring-based commissioning is about looking at the KPIs that were identified and set during the planning stage and tracking and measuring that you’re on track to meet those KPIs. Fault detection is about finding problems.”
The webinar “Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance,” with Siemens Industry, Navigant Research and Energy Manager Today is available on demand.
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- There’s Money in the Trash
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards