Osram Develops Compact LED for Interior Lighting Retrofits
The new LED, known as the Duris S 8, is housed in a new plastic material that makes it resistant to aging at high temperatures and in short-wave light, while still costing less than the ceramic housings typically used, the company says.
The Duris S (pictured) is relatively small, measuring 5.8mm by 5.2 mm. The LED, which comes in a six-chip and eight-chip versions, is able to emit a great deal of light from the small surface, the company says.
Osram says the Duris S 8 provides good color consistency, which is achieves by grouping the LEDs close together, and high luminous flux, two features that make it well-suited in directional and omni-directional retrofits as well as in LED spots in indoor lighting. The Duris S 8 is particularly suitable for directional lighting in office and business premises, the company says.
The six-chip version of the LED provides a luminous flux of 390 lm in color temperatures 2,700K, 3,000K and 4,000K with a grouping current of 200 mA.
Last year, the German-based company launched a new generation of its high-power Oslon SSL-LEDs, which feature improved performance and are about 25 percent more efficient that their predecessors. The increased efficiency is the result of a combination of higher luminous flux and a reduced forward bias voltage of 3.1 V, Osram says.
Photo: Osram Opto
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing