Outdated Windows XP Could Spell Electricity Blackouts
Many electric and gas utilities in the United States use the Windows XP operating system. So, when Microsoft ends support for the software in April, utilities might find themselves at a security risk, according to a blog in the Wall Street Journal.
After April 8, Microsoft will no longer provide security updates or technical support for Windows XP, making it vulnerable to cyber attacks, which could even cause electricity outages.
According to the Wall Street Journal article, it could cost some utilities millions of dollars to upgrade their operating system.
Last year, of all the cyber incidents reported to the Department of Homeland Security’s industrial control systems cyber emergency response team (ICS-CERT), 59 percent were related to the energy sector, says the WSJ.
The North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) does conduct periodic grid security exercises to prepare the electricity sector to respond to a cyber incident and strengthen utilities’ crisis response functions.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management