OutSmart Receives New Funding for Circuit-Level Energy Monitoring
OutSmart Power Systems secured $1.5 million in new funding from private venture investors to support continued commercialization of its technology for monitoring electrical usage at the circuit.
OutSmart deploys sensors, dubbed EnergyMates, which extract electricity usage information from a building’s circuitry and communicate it to a central location, or load master. The data is then sent to the cloud and made accessible via the Internet.
Kevin Johnson, CEO and founder of OutSmart, said there are a lot of players in the energy management business who use sensors to monitor things such as temperature, humidity and carbon emissions. However, installing submeters to measure and analyze electricity in greater detail is very expensive.
Rather than installing submeters, OutSmart’s patent-pending EnergyMate sensors can be connected wherever wires exist, such as at a main distribution panel, motor control panel or sub panel. Electrical data is collected at a hub and then sent to the cloud where it can be monitored and analyzed to evaluate specific equipment and facility performance. OutSmart can be used to verify energy improvements, identify areas of waste, and help predict faulty or failing equipment.
The company is targeting high-energy-density buildings such as grocery stores and other food processing and distribution facilities, as well as laboratory/pharmaceutical facilities and data centers.
“We focus on owner-occupied buildings that use lots of energy at lots of points,” said Johnson. “Because of the high energy density, the ROI becomes much more compelling.”
With the latest round of funding, OutSmart has now raised over $9 million since its founding in 2008.
- The World Resources Institute Scope 2 Guidance: A Verifier’s Perspective
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- There’s Money in the Trash
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe