Patents Indicate Growing UV LED Potential
UV LED lights are expected to grow nearly 10-fold in six years according to a new report by Research and Markets. “UV LED – Key Patent Analysis and Market Forecast 2012 – 2018″ was released and the research provides a comprehensive overview of the UV LED industry for the period 2012-2018, the related companies and the research institutes in the two aspects of markets and patents.
UV lamps are rapidly replacing mercury with the help of high efficiency and high output, because UV LEDs using UV light sources have more advantages than existing Hg lamps.
With these advantages, UV LED products are expected to replace existing mercury UV lamps rapidly. In fact, UV LEDs have already started to replace mercury-vapor lamps in many applications. In addition, there are on-going efforts to apply the UV LED technology to the fields of agriculture and medicine and some products are being deployed at initial prototype stage.
UV LEDs are expected to show rapid growth in the UV lamp market. The share of UV LEDs is expected to grow from 11 percent ($53M) in 2012 to 62 percent ($521M) in 2018. The data used in this report extracted from patents filed in Korea, the United States, Japan and Europe until June, 2013.
Photo: Flickr via MakerBot’s photostream.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- The Value of Integrating Health, Safety and Environment Processes with Enterprise Asset Management
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing