Philips Recalls LED Bulbs Due to Shock Hazard
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission is warning consumers to stop using Endura and Ambient LED dimmable light bulbs from Philips Lighting because they pose a risk of electrical shock. Although no injuries have been reported, the Chinese-made LEDs have a lead wire in the bulbs’ housing that can have an improper fitting, which can electrify the entire lamp and cause an electrical shock.
The recall involves Endura 12-watt and Ambient 12.5-watt LED dimmable light bulbs. About 99,000 of the LEDs have been sold.
A spokeswoman for the Consumer Product Safety Commission said the agency recalls about 400 products a year, but a quick search only turned up three instances of light bulb recalls within the past two years.
The recalled Philips bulbs are orange in color and have “MADE IN CHINA,” “Fabrique in Chine” followed by a slanted “S,” and the model number 9290001829 printed on the gray plastic band on the neck of the bulbs. The date codes, 2L for the Endura bulbs and 2K or 2L for the Ambient bulbs, are printed on the metal screw base. The bulbs give off a white light and are used indoors to replace incandescent bulbs.
The federal agency says consumers should immediately stop using the recalled LED bulbs, unplug the fixture, remove the bulb and contact Philips for free replacement bulbs.
The bulbs have been sold at Home Depot, grocery and home center stores nationwide, online retailers, including Amazon.com and through electrical distributors between October 2012 and May 2013 for between $15 and $30.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- The Sustainable Edge™