Pittsburgh Gets Cool with White Roofs
Pittsburgh launched the Mayor’s Cool Roofs program, an initiative that will coat the roofs of 10 city-owned buildings with reflective paint, making them more energy efficient.
Community volunteers will begin by painting the roof of Fire Engine 27 in Mt. Washington.
The Cool Roofs program, based on the Cities of Service Cool Roofs Blueprint, will make Pittsburgh buildings more energy-efficient by coating roofs of city-owned buildings with white reflective paint, reducing internal building temperatures by up to 30 percent and reducing operating costs.
In its first year, 10 roofs will be coated, covering approximately 50,000 square feet. The city’s Department of Public Works will work with volunteers to clean and paint the roofs.
Funded by $56,000 allocated from a Cities of Service Impact Volunteering Fund Grant and $25,000 from the city’s Green Trust Fund, Cool Roofs is a combined effort between Mayor Ravenstahl’s Office of Service & Civic Engagement, Office of Sustainability and Energy Efficiency and the Department of Public Works.
The City of New York, the first city to implement Cool Roofs, has donated its time and resources to help bring Cool Roofs to Pittsburgh.
In addition, Cities of Service was founded in September 2009 in New York City by Mayor Michael Bloomberg and 16 other mayors from across the nation, as a bipartisan coalition of mayors committed to addressing critical city needs through volunteerism.
Pittsburgh also boasts the Pittsburgh 2030 District, a collaborative of public and private organizations, working to create a high-performance building district in its downtown area.
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability