PJM Gets Some Regulated Service from Battery-Based Energy Storage
AES Energy Storage says its AES Laurel Mountain facility surpassed the 400,000 MWh mark of regulation service to the PJM Interconnection since the project began service on September 30, 2011.
Laurel Mountain, a plant comprised of 98 MW of wind generation and 64 MW of integrated battery-based energy storage resource, has entered its second year of continuous service supplying renewable energy and regulation service to PJM.
AES Laurel Mountain is among the first wind generation facilities to supply grid stability services to help maintain the reliability of the power grid. The storage portion of the project is the largest of its kind, according to the company. The energy storage facility provides fast response regulation, a critical reliability service typically supplied by power generators.
The unit’s ability to regulate up and down, by charging and discharging stored energy, enables an operating range of 64 MW of flexible capacity with no minimum generating level. To achieve a similar flexible operating capability, a thermal power generator would need to be at least 80 MW in size.
In February, Samsung SDI and Xtreme Power announced they had been selected by the Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies (CCET) to install a 1 MW/1 MWh lithium ion-based battery energy storage system (BESS) at the Reese Technology Center in Lubbock, Texas, as part of a $27 million smart grid demonstration project that will focus on combing utility scale energy storage with wind generation.
The California Public Utilities Commission has told Southern California Edison it must procure at least 50 MW of capacity in the Los Angeles basin from energy storage resources.
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions