PJM Gets Some Regulated Service from Battery-Based Energy Storage
AES Energy Storage says its AES Laurel Mountain facility surpassed the 400,000 MWh mark of regulation service to the PJM Interconnection since the project began service on September 30, 2011.
Laurel Mountain, a plant comprised of 98 MW of wind generation and 64 MW of integrated battery-based energy storage resource, has entered its second year of continuous service supplying renewable energy and regulation service to PJM.
AES Laurel Mountain is among the first wind generation facilities to supply grid stability services to help maintain the reliability of the power grid. The storage portion of the project is the largest of its kind, according to the company. The energy storage facility provides fast response regulation, a critical reliability service typically supplied by power generators.
The unit’s ability to regulate up and down, by charging and discharging stored energy, enables an operating range of 64 MW of flexible capacity with no minimum generating level. To achieve a similar flexible operating capability, a thermal power generator would need to be at least 80 MW in size.
In February, Samsung SDI and Xtreme Power announced they had been selected by the Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies (CCET) to install a 1 MW/1 MWh lithium ion-based battery energy storage system (BESS) at the Reese Technology Center in Lubbock, Texas, as part of a $27 million smart grid demonstration project that will focus on combing utility scale energy storage with wind generation.
The California Public Utilities Commission has told Southern California Edison it must procure at least 50 MW of capacity in the Los Angeles basin from energy storage resources.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management