PJM Tool Demos How Price Fluctuations, Weather Impact Customer Bills
Factors such as fuel prices and weather can change the wholesale price of electricity. An interactive price calculator just posted on the PJM Interconnection’s Learning Center website helps users to simulate how market and climatic fluctuations will change their bills under different grid conditions.
The interactive tool offers two modules:
- Weather $ Calculator – This screen allows the user to enter different variables regarding outdoor temperature and indoor thermostat settings – and instantly view the impact of weather on the wholesale price of electricity in the PJM region. The regional transmission organization cautions: This simulated price does not completely reflect what is charged to consumers in their retail electricity bills, as retailers must factor in other charges.
- Natural Gas $ Calculator – This screens demonstrates how changes in the price of natural gas can impact the wholesale electricity price in the PJM region. For example, the wholesale electricity price will change when the user adjusts the price of natural gas, as well as the system load.
The Learning Center also offers information on generation sources, transmission and distribution, industry groups, and interconnection advantages; as well as videos on a variety of topics.
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- There’s Money in the Trash
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals