Portland Gets LED Streetlights
In February, Portland General Electric will begin switching 25,000 of its high-power sodium lights to more energy-efficient LEDs.
Five counties and 47 cities are slated to get the lights in 2013 and 2014, with Clackamas County, including Portland, getting them first, according to Oregon Live. Following its regular light-replacement schedule, PGE will then install LED lights in these cities: Oregon City; West Linn; Lake Oswego; Milwaukie; Wilsonville; Molalla; Gladstone; Sandy; Estacada; Barlow; Johnson City; and in unincorporated areas.
PGE is able to afford the retrofit with the help of federal grants. In December, the Oregon Public Utility Commission approved the replacement of the lights, which comes at no cost to the municipalities. The new bulbs are expected to use about 60 percent less energy.
Other cities switching to LED streetlighting include San Francisco, the Borough of Tarentum in Western Pennsylvania, and San Antonio, Texas.
There are differing views as to whether the whiter light of LEDs is an improvement. Some claim the LEDs cause more light pollution and the white light is harder to block with curtains and shutters. But others claim the LEDs make it easier to see detail such as road signs, as well as stars in the night sky.
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement