Princeton Automates its Data Center’s HVAC
Automated Logic Corporation is providing building monitoring and control for the new high-performance computing research center at Princeton University.
The centralized computing facility features sophisticated heating, ventilation and air conditioning technology monitored and controlled by Automated Logic’s WebCTRL system. Three chillers maintain water temperature at approximately 45 degrees Fahrenheit to air-cool the computers, which generate excessive heat. The system can switch to outside air during colder months. A natural gas-driven generator, switched on when electricity prices spike, features a co-generation function that captures expelled heat as a source of energy to chill water.
The WebCTRL system provides multiple levels of redundant (N+1) control, backed by trend reporting capabilities.
The computing research facility is one of only nine high-performance data centers in the world to achieve US Green Building Council LEED Gold certification, which it received in 2012. The center is currently consuming one-third less energy than the former data center on campus. That level of performance is aligned with Princeton’s sustainability plan to reduce energy demand and conserve water.
Located on Princeton’s Forrestal Campus in Plainsboro, NJ, the 47,000-sq-ft facility is home to Princeton’s Terascale Infrastructure for Groundbreaking Research in Science and Engineering, also known as TIGRESS. The facility contains nearly 1,800 computers that support major research initiatives, administrative systems and departmental functions.
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- Beyond Compliance: Applying a Risk Lens to Your EHS Practice
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape