Proctor & Gamble Deploys Data Analytics
Procter & Gamble set a goal of reducing energy usage by 20 percent by 2020 and is using data analytics to achieve that end. Its Global Business Services department looked throughout P&G’s operations for energy efficiency improvements in the real estate division.
Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL), as P&G’s real estate services provider, proposed that P&G become the first company to pilot JLL’s new smart building management platform, IntelliCommand. The overview is included in a case study.
The pilot produced results more quickly than anticipated. Within a year, P&G reduced the pilot facilities’ energy costs by 8 to 13 percent, eliminating 4.4 million kW of energy usage by optimizing building processes.
The premise going in was that IntelliCommand’s combination of cloud-based, smart-building management technology and JLL’s team of facilities management would provide around-the-clock, real-time facilities management.
Remote facility monitoring and control across multiple locations uses wireless sensors to send data from various building automation systems to a remote “command center” where operations experts use data analytics to spot anomalies and fine tune building performance.
P&G deployed IntelliCommand across 12 buildings totaling 3.2 million square feet of space, including its global headquarters campus in Cincinnati; global healthcare headquarters facilities; including numerous laboratories; a key technical center; and a major mixed-use complex, including offices and R&D operations.
Managers were able to identify problems that manual inspections could not. For example, data analytics flagged a temperature anomaly indicating that a heater was operating when not needed. Another anomaly revealed room-to-room temperature differences that indicated malfunctioning dampers triggering unnecessary air conditioning.
In a facility spanning more than 1 million square feet across eight wings, IntelliCommand pinpointed miscues. For instance, IntelliCommand achieved 8 percent savings by reducing HVAC activity on nights, weekends and holidays.
Photo credit: Jones Lang LaSalle
- LG Electronics: Enhancing customer Experience through Sustainability
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Johnson & Johnson: Innovating in Business by Making Sustainability Personal
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green