Puerto Rico Treatment Plants Save $2.7 Million Annually in Energy Costs
Honeywell has signed an agreement to create an energy-savings program for wastewater treatment plants of the Puerto Rico Aqueduct and Sewer Authority (PRASA), which serves more than 97 percent of Puerto Rico’s businesses and 3.7 million residents.
The program will start with $16.3 million in improvements at treatment plants in Barceloneta and Caguas, Puerto Rico. This includes installing advanced process controls, new blowers and diffusers, and other high-efficiency equipment. The upgrades are guaranteed to save the authority almost $2.7 million in annual energy and operating costs. The enhancements are expected to cut energy use at the Barceloneta plant in half and the Caguas plant by nearly 30 percent.
Combined, PRASA will reduce its electricity consumption by an estimated 9.3 million kWh annually. The authority will use the savings from the program, which are guaranteed through 10-year performance contracts with Honeywell, to pay for the upgrades. As a result, PRASA should be able to modernize its operations without increasing budgets.
As part of the first phase of improvements, Honeywell will rebuild the aeration and aerobic digestion systems at both the Barceloneta and Caguas plants by installing advanced controls and energy-efficient blowers and diffusers. Additional changes include replacing old water pumps, transformers and lighting.
Honeywell will also improve the efficiency of the sludge removal systems at the facilities, which treat more than 20 million gallons of water a day, increasing the amount of waste captured and minimizing disposal costs.
Honeywell expects to complete the upgrades by early 2014, and will begin work at the other sites as soon as the audits and conservation measures are finalized. In addition to the equipment upgrades, Honeywell will provide ongoing service and maintenance to help ensure the new technology operates effectively.
Honeywell is auditing five other PRASA sites to identify opportunities to cut energy consumption and costs, which could deliver more than $3 million in additional savings per year.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts