QM Power Introduces Efficient Motor
QM Power says its Q-Sync Smart Synchronous Motor reduces energy consumption by as much as 80 percent. It is aimed at the retrofit market for businesses and OEMs. The company is offering the Q-Sync for no cost in exchange for sharing the savings in energy with the company.
As much as 70 percent of energy used in commercial buildings is consumed by motors, the company said. Despite this, there has been little innovation on motor efficiency. For instance, there are two choices for commercial refrigeration motors: Induction or shared pole motor (introduced in the 1880s) and Electronically Commutated Motors (introduced in the 1960s). The former has a 20 percent efficiency and the latter 35 percent.
The Q-Sync, the company said, offers 75 percent efficiency. An ECM motor requires continual conversion between AC and DC power to operate. The key to the Q-Sync is that the controller eliminates the need for this conversion.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Planning for a Sustainable Future