Raley’s Convenience Store Sees 1 Year Payback on LEDs
Raley’s Family of Fine Stores selected energy-efficient LED lighting by Cree to illuminate its new gas station, car wash and convenience store in South Lake Tahoe, Calif. The LED technology is paired with an integrated dimming system. Raley’s expects a payback in less than one year from the LED lighting, based on typical commercial usage of 12 hours per day for exterior products and 24 hours per day for interior products, and the state of California average of $0.14 per kWh electric costs, lighting-related HVAC impact and relamp maintenance reductions.
Sixty Cree LED luminaires illuminate the South Lake Tahoe store, including recessed soffit luminaires and troffers in the convenience store along with recessed canopy luminaires installed over the fuel canopy deck and recessed soffit luminaires in the car wash bay. Wall-mount security luminaires, as well as post-top and arm-mounted luminaires provide further exterior lighting in the parking lot.
Implementing energy-efficient LED lighting supports Raley’s goal of reducing overall energy consumption at new stores and in upgrades to its 128 locations.
An additional benefit of the Cree lighting installation is the universal drivers that provide continuous illumination during periodic brownouts that are common to the area. In South Lake Tahoe, the voltage will drop as much as 30 percent during hot afternoons creating multiple problems with electrical systems, according to Raley’s.
Featuring an optional integrated sensor, Cree luminaires help Raley’s conserve energy and meet California’s daylight control requirement at the South Lake Tahoe store. Cree luminaires in the car wash, for example, operate at 20 percent power until the occupancy sensor brings them to full power and then dims them when not in use.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room