REI Buys RECs
In addition to 26 solar systems generating energy and a program to invest in energy efficiency, REI says it also now buys certified renewable energy certificates (RECs) to power more than 130 stores, two distribution centers and its headquarters.
In 2013, REI bought 54,959 Green-E certified RECs from a wind farm in western Texas. REI purchases RECs from San Francisco-based 3Degrees.
REI’s energy strategy is composed of increased efficiencies such as lighting retrofit projects, solar generation and renewable energy. While REI grew nearly six percent in 2013 over 2012, its energy consumption grew by 0.1 percent, says the company.
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Gartner Magic Quadrant