REI Buys RECs
In addition to 26 solar systems generating energy and a program to invest in energy efficiency, REI says it also now buys certified renewable energy certificates (RECs) to power more than 130 stores, two distribution centers and its headquarters.
In 2013, REI bought 54,959 Green-E certified RECs from a wind farm in western Texas. REI purchases RECs from San Francisco-based 3Degrees.
REI’s energy strategy is composed of increased efficiencies such as lighting retrofit projects, solar generation and renewable energy. While REI grew nearly six percent in 2013 over 2012, its energy consumption grew by 0.1 percent, says the company.
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape