REI Buys RECs
In addition to 26 solar systems generating energy and a program to invest in energy efficiency, REI says it also now buys certified renewable energy certificates (RECs) to power more than 130 stores, two distribution centers and its headquarters.
In 2013, REI bought 54,959 Green-E certified RECs from a wind farm in western Texas. REI purchases RECs from San Francisco-based 3Degrees.
REI’s energy strategy is composed of increased efficiencies such as lighting retrofit projects, solar generation and renewable energy. While REI grew nearly six percent in 2013 over 2012, its energy consumption grew by 0.1 percent, says the company.
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- There’s Money in the Trash
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book