Rocky Mountain Institute Studies Energy Retrofits Across Real Estate Portfolios
Since last spring, AT&T and The Exchange have been participating in the Rocky Mountain Institute’s Portfolio Energy RetroFit Challenge to study how big companies can apply energy efficiency retrofits across their entire building portfolios, at scale.
The companies pay $50,000 to participate in the project, and RMI matches that investment with another $50,000.
It’s a research product,” said Elaine Gallagher Adams, RMI senior buildings consultant. “We’re buying our way into access data. We’re trying to solve problems instead of coming up with hypotheticals.”
So far, only AT&T and The Exchange have snagged two of the six available research slots being offered by RMI.
The Exchange runs big box stores on Army and Air Force bases. Adams said its energy efficiency lessons will be applicable to other big box stores.
RMI wants to understand why energy efficiency measures aren’t applied across a company’s entire real estate portfolio as a whole. Companies tend to tackle retrofits one building at a time, Adams said.
AT&T’s real estate portfolio counts more than 65,000 facilities in more than 60 countries. Beginning with a high-level, portfolio-wide analysis, the RMI and AT&T teams will determine how efficiency investments can make the greatest impact. The product of that analysis will be a long-term capital and construction schedule for deploying extensive retrofits and other efficiency measures across a portfolio.
The Portfolio Energy RetroFit Challenge is still gathering and organizing data. Retroficiency has been hired to help with the energy efficiency modeling.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management