Rubber Plant Saves on Monthly Energy Bills With LEDs
Georgia-based floor-mat manufacturer Mountville Mills recently retrofitted one of its rubber plants to
LED lighting, resulting in significant savings in electricity usage. Although the lighting costs aren’t broken out from other electricity consumption, such as the HVAC system, comparing the month of August 2011 with August 2012, electricity usage was down 39 percent. The near-term net for Mountville Mills is a savings of $1,995 per month, according to LEDs Magazine.
The plant previously used metal-halide lamps, which required regular maintenance and didn’t give the best lighting. But Mountville’s president was concerned about the cost of LEDs. Also, he had concerns about the use of dimmers, afraid that dimly-lit areas of the manufacturing area and a warehouse would leave an impression that not much work was being done.
Prior to the retrofit, the 20,000-sq-foot manufacturing area was lit with 30 400W MH fixtures, and the 60,000-sq-foot warehouse was lit with 99 400W MH fixtures.
For the lighting conversion, Acuity Brands’ Lithonia Lighting recommended the LED version of the I-Beam high-bay fixture, or IBL. Mountville installed 25 IBL luminaires in the manufacturing area and 54 in the warehouse – a 40 percent reduction in the number of fixtures. Before being removed, the power consumption of the existing MH lights was measured at 458W with the ballast. The new LED fixtures measured at 286W.
Mountville is so pleased with the electricity savings from the LED transition at the rubber plant it is beginning a retrofit of its 225,000-sq-foot corporate headquarters.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Descriptive, Predictive, Prescriptive: Transforming Asset and Facilities Management with Analytics
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing