Sacramento Students Brainstorm Energy Saving Ideas
A local air conditioning business and a non-profit organization in Sacramento, Calif., are offering prizes to students who can think of energy conservation projects that would benefit their community.
The West Sacramento Educational Foundation has partnered with Beutler Air Conditioning and Plumbing to host the contest.
Kindergarten through eighth-grade science classes in the Washington Unified School District are eligible to enter their ideas on how to reduce the load on the energy grid and how that benefits their community, according to the Sacramento Bee.
The class with the best idea will receive $500. The second prize is $300, and the third prize is $200. In addition to the prize money, Beutler is donating $1,000 to the West Sacramento Educational Foundation.
The science classes will brainstorm their energy-savings ideas and submit an essay explaining their concepts and how they can be implemented. Winners will be announced in March.
Energy efficiency games and contests are cropping up in other parts of the country as well. A group in Wilmington, Ohio, is creating an online game – Dropoly – for homeowners to share energy efficiency ideas, for instance.
The Washington Unified School District in Sacramento also demonstrates its interested in energy efficiency by having an electricity-generating solar array on its high school.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management