Sacramento Students Brainstorm Energy Saving Ideas
A local air conditioning business and a non-profit organization in Sacramento, Calif., are offering prizes to students who can think of energy conservation projects that would benefit their community.
The West Sacramento Educational Foundation has partnered with Beutler Air Conditioning and Plumbing to host the contest.
Kindergarten through eighth-grade science classes in the Washington Unified School District are eligible to enter their ideas on how to reduce the load on the energy grid and how that benefits their community, according to the Sacramento Bee.
The class with the best idea will receive $500. The second prize is $300, and the third prize is $200. In addition to the prize money, Beutler is donating $1,000 to the West Sacramento Educational Foundation.
The science classes will brainstorm their energy-savings ideas and submit an essay explaining their concepts and how they can be implemented. Winners will be announced in March.
Energy efficiency games and contests are cropping up in other parts of the country as well. A group in Wilmington, Ohio, is creating an online game – Dropoly – for homeowners to share energy efficiency ideas, for instance.
The Washington Unified School District in Sacramento also demonstrates its interested in energy efficiency by having an electricity-generating solar array on its high school.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room