SageGlass Skylights Solve Urgent Sun Glare Problem
The architect for a new government building in the Netherlands didn’t consider the occupants’ use of a space when he installed a large skylight.
The Province of Utrecht solved the sun glare and heat gain problems that hindered legislative business by installing dynamic glass from Sage.
The Provincial House was designed by architect Peter Vermeulen and officially opened in June 2012 as the new center of the Province’s democracy. Council members convene inside a hall called the Commission Room, which is crowned by a round skylight to bathe the space with natural light. But the glare caused by the out-of-reach skylight made it difficult for council members to use the space for audio-visual presentations, which was one of the primary functions of the room.
The Provincial House installed SageGlass underneath the existing skylight to solve the problem. SageGlass is electronically tintable dynamic glass that can darken or clear to maximize daylight and outdoor views in buildings while controlling the sun’s rays. Thirty-two SageGlass skylights provide four zones of sun control that can be tinted and cleared on-demand with the push of a button.
In addition to the sun glare control, SageGlass also offers the Provincial House energy efficiency benefits by controlling solar heat gain that can build up over the day, reducing the building’s HVAC needs. Installing SageGlass as a retrofit solution enabled the Provincial House to use the space both as a conference room and a multi-function venue for presentations and videos any time of the day.
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems