San Francisco Public Buildings’ Energy Use Down 3.6% from 2011.
The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) has released its second annual Energy Benchmarking Report, which details energy usage for 446 municipal buildings – including, for the first time, over 130 school district facilities.
Key benchmarking findings include:
- The overall energy use of benchmarked buildings declined 3.6 percent from 2011 and 4.4 percent compared to 2009.
- The average carbon footprint of benchmarked facilities decreased 5.1 percent from 2011 and 7 percent compared to 2009.
- The decreased energy use from 2011 to 2012 saved the city about $450,000 in energy costs last year.
- 80 percent of city and school district facilities in Energy Star building types performed better than the national average.
- City Hall is among the public buildings that scored high enough for the Energy Star label in 2012. City Hall performed better than 90 percent of similar office buildings nationwide.
The report details the 2012 energy use of public facilities including schools, libraries, medical clinics, police stations and others. Altogether, the buildings in the report comprise more than 46 million square feet of floor space, an increase of more than 9 million square feet over the buildings included in the 2011 report.
City departments can use the data to track the effectiveness of energy efficiency efforts as well as unexpected spikes in energy use at the facilities they manage.
The report is part of the SFPUC’s larger energy efficiency and green building program, which has completed more than 175 energy efficiency projects in public buildings in the last ten years. Those upgrades are saving the city over $5 million each year in energy costs, an increase from 2011 of nearly half a million dollars in annual year-over-year savings.
San Francisco’s landmark Commercial Buildings Energy Performance Ordinance of 2011 mandated that all non-residential buildings larger than 10,000 square feet annually benchmark their energy use and publicly disclose the results.
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Let's Do The Math for DR