San Francisco’s Energy Benchmarking Law Requires an Audit
In San Francisco, building owners of commercial properties over 10,000 square feet must not only benchmark and report their energy usage, they must also submit an energy audit.
San Francisco’s Existing Commercial Buildings Energy Performance Ordinance was adopted in 2011 and is being phased-in over three years. For existing nonresidential buildings with at least 10,000 square feet of heated or cooled space, the ordinance requires:
- Benchmarking: Annually summarizing the energy ￼￼used by the entire building reported through the EPA’s Portfolio Manager.
- ￼Transparency: Annually sharing an overview of ￼energy benchmarking results with tenants and the ￼￼City; and the information will be made available to the ￼￼public.
- ￼Auditing: Submitting an energy efficiency audit ￼once every 5 years identifying specific cost-effective ￼measures that would save energy.
To meet the energy audit requirement, building owners must submit a Confirmation of Energy Audit from a qualified energy auditor to the San Francisco Department of Environment. San Francisco’s requirement is varied depending on such factors as building size, age and Energy Star certification.
Ecova is offering energy audits to help San Francisco building owners comply. Ecova will then analyze actual consumption and spend information and identify opportunities to improve efficiencies and reduce costs portfolio-wide.
Recently, the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) released its second annual Energy Benchmarking Report, which details energy usage for 446 municipal buildings – including, for the first time, over 130 school district facilities.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management