SC Housing Group Leverages HUD for Energy Contract
The Columbia Housing Authority (CHA) of Columbia, SC, has executed a $2.7 million energy performance contract with Ameresco.
The project will provide energy efficiency upgrades and water to more than 1,200 CHA housing units, and is expected to save over $6.5 million for CHA over the 20-year contract term.
The CHA is using the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) energy performance contract program, which uses the energy and water savings to leverage private capital to cover the costs of the improvements, so there is no out-of-pocket cost to the CHA.
The HUD energy performance contract program provides incentives to public housing authorities across the country to implement energy and water savings improvements to their housing units. Since inception of the program about 20 years ago, more than 240 public housing authorities nationwide have participated in the program, which has leveraged over $839 million in energy and water improvements.
The $2.7 million scope of the CHA project includes water and lighting efficiency upgrades, as well as upgrades to mechanical equipment at three CHA sites: Hammond Village, Oak Read High Rise, and Marion Street High Rise. Construction will begin in early 2013 and continue for about a year.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement