SC Housing Group Leverages HUD for Energy Contract
The Columbia Housing Authority (CHA) of Columbia, SC, has executed a $2.7 million energy performance contract with Ameresco.
The project will provide energy efficiency upgrades and water to more than 1,200 CHA housing units, and is expected to save over $6.5 million for CHA over the 20-year contract term.
The CHA is using the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) energy performance contract program, which uses the energy and water savings to leverage private capital to cover the costs of the improvements, so there is no out-of-pocket cost to the CHA.
The HUD energy performance contract program provides incentives to public housing authorities across the country to implement energy and water savings improvements to their housing units. Since inception of the program about 20 years ago, more than 240 public housing authorities nationwide have participated in the program, which has leveraged over $839 million in energy and water improvements.
The $2.7 million scope of the CHA project includes water and lighting efficiency upgrades, as well as upgrades to mechanical equipment at three CHA sites: Hammond Village, Oak Read High Rise, and Marion Street High Rise. Construction will begin in early 2013 and continue for about a year.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- LED Myths and Facts
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Select the Right Solution for Facilities Management
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing