Scaling of Energy Storage Market Hinges on ESSI Vendors
ESSI players were rare three years ago, but today new entrants are populating the market. ESSI players include pure-play utility-scale players and distributed storage developers, but nearly all ESSI players bring their unique software and controls to the market.
Now that battery prices have responded to cost pressures – having fallen 40 percent to 60 percent in the past 18 months – ESSI vendors are under increased pressure to deliver more consistent pricing. This is particularly important in the utility and commercial storage segments, which are growing quickly but often require customization and lengthy interaction with the end user.
Certain vendors are differentiating themselves on technical capabilities, business models or financing offers. Navigant’s Leaderboard Report examines the strategy and execution of 12 leading energy storage systems integrators. The top 10 vendors include the following:
- AES Energy Storage
- NEC Energy Solutions
- RES Americas
- LG CNS
- Green Charge Networks
- Greensmith Energy Management Systems
- ZBB Energy
- S&C Electric
Navigant found that the future market for ESSI will be led by firms that are responsive to market demand, provide compelling offers within the marketplace and pursue scalable business models. In the past, ESSI firms have failed as a result of poor management or business strategy, even while their core technology offer was thoroughly demonstrated and provided added value. The most successful ESSI firms will be those with the technology, strategy and execution that permit both competitive pricing and compelling customer value propositions.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Planning for a Sustainable Future