Schools: Solar in California; Online Energy Procurement in Texas
Solar energy project developer Enfinity America completed a portfolio of solar photovoltaic installations across ten sites for the Greenfield Union School District (GUSD) in Bakersfield, Calif. All the installations went into commercial operation in mid-December 2012. Total system size is 1,987 kW, with its first-year energy output projected to be 3.1 million kWh. The installations use 7,868 PV panels manufactured by BenQ Solar, which is also providing flat screen monitors to the school district for displaying system performance data, as part of a curriculum enrichment program.
The project comprises a mix of ground-mount, rooftop, carport and shade trellis panel installations. Enfinity developed and financed the solar portfolio and will own and operate the systems under a 20-year power purchase agreement with the district. Intermountain Electric provided engineering, procurement and construction services. The district can use the energy produced to offset its utility costs – without incurring capital expenditure or a tax consequence to its communities.
World Energy Solutions has helped Abilene Independent School District in Texas procure over 62 million kWh of electricity. Through a series of online auctions run on the World Energy Exchange, the district was able to test market prices for various electricity terms and products. In all, the competitive event attracted 12 suppliers, who over the course of one hour submitted more than 120 bids for the school district’ business. The auctions resulted in a new 36-month electricity contract that is expected to save the school district more than $1.4 million. Delivery under the new contract terms begins in June 2014.
The Abilene Independent School District is also saving money with an energy conservation management program.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management