Schools: Solar in California; Online Energy Procurement in Texas
Solar energy project developer Enfinity America completed a portfolio of solar photovoltaic installations across ten sites for the Greenfield Union School District (GUSD) in Bakersfield, Calif. All the installations went into commercial operation in mid-December 2012. Total system size is 1,987 kW, with its first-year energy output projected to be 3.1 million kWh. The installations use 7,868 PV panels manufactured by BenQ Solar, which is also providing flat screen monitors to the school district for displaying system performance data, as part of a curriculum enrichment program.
The project comprises a mix of ground-mount, rooftop, carport and shade trellis panel installations. Enfinity developed and financed the solar portfolio and will own and operate the systems under a 20-year power purchase agreement with the district. Intermountain Electric provided engineering, procurement and construction services. The district can use the energy produced to offset its utility costs – without incurring capital expenditure or a tax consequence to its communities.
World Energy Solutions has helped Abilene Independent School District in Texas procure over 62 million kWh of electricity. Through a series of online auctions run on the World Energy Exchange, the district was able to test market prices for various electricity terms and products. In all, the competitive event attracted 12 suppliers, who over the course of one hour submitted more than 120 bids for the school district’ business. The auctions resulted in a new 36-month electricity contract that is expected to save the school district more than $1.4 million. Delivery under the new contract terms begins in June 2014.
The Abilene Independent School District is also saving money with an energy conservation management program.
- The World Resources Institute Scope 2 Guidance: A Verifier’s Perspective
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws