SEEA Finds a 387% ROI from Energy Efficiency Programs
Cadmus Group evaluated the economic performance of the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance’s 16-city, DOE-funded energy efficiency retrofit consortium from 2010 to 2013 and found that every $1 million invested in energy efficiency programs in the region generated $3.87 million in economic output, together with 17.28 new jobs, according to the report The Economic Impact of Energy Efficiency Investments in the Southeast.
Over the course of three years, SEEA-administered programs in 16 participating cities achieved these economic results by completing more than 10,000 building energy audits and 6,000 home and commercial building retrofits.
The SEEA program consortium, which was seeded by $20.2 million of funding from the Department of Energy Better Buildings Neighborhood Program (BBNP), ranked sixth among 41 BBNP programs nationwide based on the number of retrofits completed. Participant cities included Arlington, Va.; Atlanta, Ga.; Birmingham, Ala.; Blacksburg/Roanoke, Va.; Carrboro, N.C; Chapel Hill, N.C; Charleston, S.C.; Charlotte, N.C. Charlottesville, Va.; Decatur, Ga.; Hampton Roads, Va.; Huntsville, Ala.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Nashville, Tenn.; New Orleans, La.; and Richmond, Va.
The Cadmus Group compared the effects of program-related spending (DOE’s investment of $20.2M in the Southeast) on the economy to a hypothetical baseline in which these energy efficiency programs would not have existed. It then calculated the net impacts of SEEA’s energy efficiency programs on the economy of the Southeast, and on the economies of states with participating programs.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room