SEEA Finds a 387% ROI from Energy Efficiency Programs
Cadmus Group evaluated the economic performance of the Southeast Energy Efficiency Alliance’s 16-city, DOE-funded energy efficiency retrofit consortium from 2010 to 2013 and found that every $1 million invested in energy efficiency programs in the region generated $3.87 million in economic output, together with 17.28 new jobs, according to the report The Economic Impact of Energy Efficiency Investments in the Southeast.
Over the course of three years, SEEA-administered programs in 16 participating cities achieved these economic results by completing more than 10,000 building energy audits and 6,000 home and commercial building retrofits.
The SEEA program consortium, which was seeded by $20.2 million of funding from the Department of Energy Better Buildings Neighborhood Program (BBNP), ranked sixth among 41 BBNP programs nationwide based on the number of retrofits completed. Participant cities included Arlington, Va.; Atlanta, Ga.; Birmingham, Ala.; Blacksburg/Roanoke, Va.; Carrboro, N.C; Chapel Hill, N.C; Charleston, S.C.; Charlotte, N.C. Charlottesville, Va.; Decatur, Ga.; Hampton Roads, Va.; Huntsville, Ala.; Jacksonville, Fla.; Nashville, Tenn.; New Orleans, La.; and Richmond, Va.
The Cadmus Group compared the effects of program-related spending (DOE’s investment of $20.2M in the Southeast) on the economy to a hypothetical baseline in which these energy efficiency programs would not have existed. It then calculated the net impacts of SEEA’s energy efficiency programs on the economy of the Southeast, and on the economies of states with participating programs.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Combined Heat and Power
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management