Senate Dems Push Energy-Efficiency Policies
Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) has introduced a bill to improve energy efficiency in federal buildings, and says she plans to introduce legislation to set up a program to fund energy-efficiency improvements in communities.
According to Politico, the bill Boxer introduced last week would require the General Services Administration to conduct energy audits of buildings it owns, identify efficiency improvements, calculate potential savings and propose ways for the buildings to pay for themselves within 10 years.
Boxer, who chairs the Senate Environment and Public Works Committee, told Capital Public Radio that buildings contribute 11 percent of annual GHG emissions.
Politico also reports that Boxer will introduce a bill to use the Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act program as a model for community-based programs to fund energy-efficiency projects, save money, and toughen public works to respond to disasters, such as Superstorm Sandy.
Boxer’s push for energy-efficiency legislation follows President Barack Obama’s focus on climate-change issues in his Jan. 21 inaugural address.
In his confirmation hearing last week, Secretary of State nominee John Kerry (D-Mass.) said the US should encourage renewable energy generation and pursue policies to increase energy-efficiency, The Huffington Post reports. Kerry called clean energy a “job creator,” and said it’s the fastest growing sector in his home state and others, including California.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Harness the Value of Big Data to Build Smarter Infrastructures
- Complex Manufacturing Assets Require Integrated Management
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing