Sensity Networks LEDs
Sensity Systems unveiled a light sensory network, branded NetSense, where each LED luminaire becomes a node in a carrier-grade, broadband network that can provide a variety of services for building owners.
With Sensity’s distributed computing architecture, each LED luminaire is equipped with sensors and a fully functioning processor able to run software instructions. When networked together, these luminaires collectively gather and process data about the surrounding environment, enabling analytics that transform the raw data into actionable information.
The networked LED luminaires also deliver energy savings – about 80 percent with LED lighting alone and about 90 percent with LED lighting plus networking – compared to fluorescent or HID lighting, according to Sensity.
A spokesman for Sensity said the LEDs are networked wirelessly via WiFi. With high-speed networking, cloud computing and big data analytics, NetSense is capable of capturing and transmitting data from the surrounding environment into a variety of applications and services, such as public safety, weather monitoring, parking management and retail analytics.
The NetSense platform taps into the “Internet of Things” trend: the networked interconnection of everyday physical objects, from kitchen appliances to lighting fixtures.
Chevron Energy Solutions is a Sensity partner, targeting municipalities for light sensory network deployments. Sensity has also begun working with several partners and third-party developers to create SensApps – applications that run on NetSense, including lighting control, power monitoring, lighting maintenance, network monitoring, parking management, security, asset management and retail analytics.
Other companies offering LED-based lighting networks include Acuity Brands and Digital Lumens.
A Department of Energy report found that occupancy sensor controlled LED lighting – if done correctly – can enhance savings from an already efficient lighting system as much as an additional 76 percent, after those gained by the initial conversion to LED.
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- Dawn of the Building Performance Era
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- ASSA ABLOY: Investing in Sustainability Opens the Door for Business Opportunity
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Under the Lens: Claiming Green