Shaheen-Portman Efficiency Bill Dies
The bill went down in a 55-to-36 vote amid partisan wrangling surrounding the Keystone XL pipeline and President Obama’s plans to issue new climate regulations, The New York Times reports.
Majority Leader Harry Reid refused to allow a Republican amendment to the bill that would have approved the Keystone pipeline and another that would have blocked the President’s climate plans, come to a vote, scuppering the bill’s chances. The bill previously stalled out in September, 2013 when Republicans pushed for unrelated amendments to the bill. A new version of the bill appeared in February.
Senators Rob Portman’s, (R-OH), and Jeanne Shaheen’s, (D-NH), bill targeted what the Times refers to as “small-bore” energy efficiency provisions including making it easier for homeowners to buy smart meters and cutting manufacturers’ costs to build energy efficient heating and cooling systems.
The bill was that rare beast in contemporary Washington: a bill that, until this week, had wide-ranging support from both parties in both Congressional chambers. A companion bill in the House sponsored by Representatives David B. McKinley, (R-WV), and Peter Welch, (D-VT), also had strong backing, the Times reports.
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- Integrated Building Optimization
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement