Shaw Carpet Installs Solar, Google Invests $103M in Solar Plant, Breckenridge, Colo. Gets Solar Gardens
About 1 MW of solar panels from SolarWorld soon will go live atop a carpet-tile manufacturing plant of Shaw Industries Group in Cartersville, Ga. The Cartersville solar power system, expected to be commissioned later this month, will contribute about 1.4 million kWh into the Georgia Power utility grid.
Google is investing about $103 million in Silver Ridge Power’s 265.7 MW Mount Signal Solar project, also known as Imperial Valley Solar 1, a utility-scale solar photovoltaic generating plant under construction in Imperial County, Calif. Mount Signal Solar is expected to be fully operational in 2014 and will sell its output to the San Diego Gas & Electric Company under a long-term power purchase agreement. This is Google’s thirteenth renewable energy investment. In total, the company has committed over $1 billion to projects that will enable the generation of more than 2 GW of electricity.
In Breckenridge, Colo., Clean Energy Collective has built two 500 kW solar garden facilities. They are only the second and third community-owned projects to come online in Xcel Energy’s Solar Rewards Community program. Electricity customers who want to use renewable energy but can’t or don’t want to install solar modules on their own property now have the option to purchase solar panels in the solar garden. Any residential, commercial, or non-profit Xcel Energy customer can purchase 235-Watt panels for $870 each, with a minimum purchase of five panels up to as many as needed to completely power a home or business. Solar garden members receive all of the same rebates and incentives as on-site systems and receive credit for the power produced directly on their monthly Xcel Energy bills.
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- There’s Money in the Trash
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles