Shaw Carpet Installs Solar, Google Invests $103M in Solar Plant, Breckenridge, Colo. Gets Solar Gardens
About 1 MW of solar panels from SolarWorld soon will go live atop a carpet-tile manufacturing plant of Shaw Industries Group in Cartersville, Ga. The Cartersville solar power system, expected to be commissioned later this month, will contribute about 1.4 million kWh into the Georgia Power utility grid.
Google is investing about $103 million in Silver Ridge Power’s 265.7 MW Mount Signal Solar project, also known as Imperial Valley Solar 1, a utility-scale solar photovoltaic generating plant under construction in Imperial County, Calif. Mount Signal Solar is expected to be fully operational in 2014 and will sell its output to the San Diego Gas & Electric Company under a long-term power purchase agreement. This is Google’s thirteenth renewable energy investment. In total, the company has committed over $1 billion to projects that will enable the generation of more than 2 GW of electricity.
In Breckenridge, Colo., Clean Energy Collective has built two 500 kW solar garden facilities. They are only the second and third community-owned projects to come online in Xcel Energy’s Solar Rewards Community program. Electricity customers who want to use renewable energy but can’t or don’t want to install solar modules on their own property now have the option to purchase solar panels in the solar garden. Any residential, commercial, or non-profit Xcel Energy customer can purchase 235-Watt panels for $870 each, with a minimum purchase of five panels up to as many as needed to completely power a home or business. Solar garden members receive all of the same rebates and incentives as on-site systems and receive credit for the power produced directly on their monthly Xcel Energy bills.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- BuildingIQ's Meter Processing Flow
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Combined Heat and Power
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management