Siemens Installing Energy Saving Measures for Coast Guard
Using an Energy Savings Performance Contract from the Department of Energy, the cost of the project will be funded by the energy savings guaranteed by Siemens.
The energy conservation upgrades being implemented by Siemens include boiler and burner conversions for heating improvements, installing a building automation system across the base, mechanical HVAC improvements and water conservation measures which are estimated to generate energy savings on average of $540,000 annually over the 14-year contract term.
The project is expected to reduce electricity consumption on the base by more than 1.1 million kWh annually, while also eliminating 78,000 gallons of fuel oil use and 32,000 gallons of liquid propane use each year. Water conservation initiatives are anticipated to save over 3 million gallons of water. This environmental impact is equivalent to reducing CO2 emissions by more than 3.7 million pounds per year, Siemens says.
US Coast Guard Base Elizabeth City is located in northeastern North Carolina along the Pasquotank River near the opening of the Albemarle Sound.
In July last year, Siemens Government Technologies announced that it was on schedule to complete, by October, a $39 million energy-efficiency project that will allow the GSA to monitor and control dozens of buildings, in four states, from one location.
The contract covers 39 General Services Administration buildings across Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and New Mexico. Over the course of the two-year project Siemens has installed solar PV, irrigation and lighting-control systems, water-conserving plumbing and energy-efficient lighting fixtures, heating and cooling system upgrades and building envelope improvements such as thermal pane windows and insulation.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Optimizing Asset and Service Management in the Manufacturing Industry
- The Guru’s Guide: Implementing Environmental ERP Systems
- The Value of Integrating Health, Safety and Environment Processes with Enterprise Asset Management
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- LED Myths and Facts
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room