Siemens Installing Energy Saving Measures for Coast Guard
Using an Energy Savings Performance Contract from the Department of Energy, the cost of the project will be funded by the energy savings guaranteed by Siemens.
The energy conservation upgrades being implemented by Siemens include boiler and burner conversions for heating improvements, installing a building automation system across the base, mechanical HVAC improvements and water conservation measures which are estimated to generate energy savings on average of $540,000 annually over the 14-year contract term.
The project is expected to reduce electricity consumption on the base by more than 1.1 million kWh annually, while also eliminating 78,000 gallons of fuel oil use and 32,000 gallons of liquid propane use each year. Water conservation initiatives are anticipated to save over 3 million gallons of water. This environmental impact is equivalent to reducing CO2 emissions by more than 3.7 million pounds per year, Siemens says.
US Coast Guard Base Elizabeth City is located in northeastern North Carolina along the Pasquotank River near the opening of the Albemarle Sound.
In July last year, Siemens Government Technologies announced that it was on schedule to complete, by October, a $39 million energy-efficiency project that will allow the GSA to monitor and control dozens of buildings, in four states, from one location.
The contract covers 39 General Services Administration buildings across Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas and New Mexico. Over the course of the two-year project Siemens has installed solar PV, irrigation and lighting-control systems, water-conserving plumbing and energy-efficient lighting fixtures, heating and cooling system upgrades and building envelope improvements such as thermal pane windows and insulation.
Why bring buildings online? What information can operations teams glean from real-time data that they can’t just get from the monthly data provided by utility companies? Click to learn more.
- Existing Building Technologies Combine for Increased Savings
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Energy Financing Report
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management