Siemens Creates Online Game for Energy Managers
Siemens Energy has developed a free online game that challenges the user to design a sustainable energy system for a city.
The simulation game Power Matrix aims to generate an understanding of the mechanisms and rules of the energy market and to provide insights into the interaction between different power generation types and power grids. Power Matrix is not only geared toward experts but also members of the general public who are interested in the topic.
The player takes on the role of an energy manager in a rural area whose task is to contribute to the growth of a city by creating an intelligent energy mix and providing a stable power supply. Possible energy sources include both conventional technologies and renewables, such as wind and solar power.
The better the energy mix a player creates by combining the different energy sources, the faster his city grows. Players can also collect bonus points by investing in research and development, for example, but players must always keep an eye on the available budget.
Power Matrix explains the correlations and processes of the individual variables involved in energy economics with the help of the simulation and strategy games. Siemens‘ online game is based on an idealized and simplified view of reality and was developed in collaboration with experts from the fields of gaming, corporate strategy and engineering. The game provides general descriptions of technologies and technical possibilities for products and solutions in the field of energy economics.
Other groups have created online energy games, as well. In March, GE, along with the Center for Science and National Geographic launched a free online city building game designed to educate the nation’s youth about the future of energy.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- Shifting the Focus from End-of-Life Recycling to Continuous Product Lifecycles
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management