Siemens Creates Online Game for Energy Managers
Siemens Energy has developed a free online game that challenges the user to design a sustainable energy system for a city.
The simulation game Power Matrix aims to generate an understanding of the mechanisms and rules of the energy market and to provide insights into the interaction between different power generation types and power grids. Power Matrix is not only geared toward experts but also members of the general public who are interested in the topic.
The player takes on the role of an energy manager in a rural area whose task is to contribute to the growth of a city by creating an intelligent energy mix and providing a stable power supply. Possible energy sources include both conventional technologies and renewables, such as wind and solar power.
The better the energy mix a player creates by combining the different energy sources, the faster his city grows. Players can also collect bonus points by investing in research and development, for example, but players must always keep an eye on the available budget.
Power Matrix explains the correlations and processes of the individual variables involved in energy economics with the help of the simulation and strategy games. Siemens‘ online game is based on an idealized and simplified view of reality and was developed in collaboration with experts from the fields of gaming, corporate strategy and engineering. The game provides general descriptions of technologies and technical possibilities for products and solutions in the field of energy economics.
Other groups have created online energy games, as well. In March, GE, along with the Center for Science and National Geographic launched a free online city building game designed to educate the nation’s youth about the future of energy.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement