Simergy Makes EnergyPlus More User-Friendly
To address the need for a more user-friendly interface for the DOE’s EnergyPlus building energy simulation program, the Simulation Research Group at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory worked with a public/private team to develop Simergy.
Simergy is a new, free graphical user interface (GUI ) for EnergyPlus, specifically designed for practitioners. The beta version was released in October 2012 and is undergoing testing.
The US Department of Energy’s open-source EnergyPlus program has helped architects and engineers design more efficient buildings for more than a decade. However, it can take a great deal of effort to input information and analyze the output. As a result, many have avoided using the program, while others have turned to third-party GUIs to increase its effectiveness.
As entities such as the California Energy Commission, Hydro Québec, and Trane switch from DOE-2 to EnergyPlus, it is more important than ever to combine an easy-to-use GUI with the capabilities of EnergyPlus, according to Berkeley Lab. Therefore, Berkeley Lab initiated and participated in a series of workshops where practitioners helped to define features that would enable them to use EnergyPlus effectively. The Lab then used their recommendations to develop a product that would meet their specific needs.
Version 1 of Simergy will address design for new construction and is slated to be released in the first quarter of 2013. Users will benefit from the following key features:
- Capability to manage and evaluate design alternatives.
- Ability to translate building envelope geometry from CAD or Building Information Models (BIM) to Building Energy Models (BEM).
- Extensive sets of libraries and templates for construction materials, schedules and HVAC equipment, and systems for both conventional and low-energy systems.
- Drag-and-drop component-based HVAC schematic editing.
- Summary reports that can be customized to the user’s desired level of detail.
- Interactive detailed results visualization.
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement