Simplot, Bigelow Cut Energy Use
J.R. Simplot Company’s various energy-efficiency improvements have saved the company 390,821,028 kWh of electricity and prevented 95,056 tons of GHG emissions since 2009, the Idaho Statesman reports.
The food, fertilizer and chemical company has reduced its electricity and natural gas usage in the past almost four years by adjusting boilers in plants to run in idle mode when not in use and other measures, according to the newspaper. Simplot has also installed motion sensors and other energy-efficient lighting fixtures in offices, and controlled water use at its Don fertilizer plant in Pocatello, Idaho.
In June, Simplot joined the White House’s Better Buildings Challenge, pledging to cut building energy use at least 20 percent by 2020, Environmental Leader reports.
In 2010, two of Simplot’s plants were among the first food processing plants in the nation to be Energy Star rated.
Meanwhile, R.C. Bigelow expects to save 92,609 kWh per year with its new compressed air system, according to the Idaho Statesman. The tea company has replaced a heatless desiccant dryer with an oversized refrigerated dryer, and an older compressor with a larger-capacity variable-speed compressor.
The new system, which cost $17,026, adjusts to load demands and maintains a consistent line pressure, the newspaper says.
Earlier this week, Rezidor, a member of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, announced a group-wide energy-saving initiative — Think Planet — to reduce energy consumption 25 percent by 2016 in all Rezidor hotels across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The group is currently in 70 countries where more than 330 hotels of the brands Radisson Blu, Park Inn by Radisson and Hotel Missoni are operated, and 100 further properties are under development.
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Dow Chemical Company Optimizes Facility Management Worldwide
- 9 Ways to Reduce Energy Costs
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems