Simplot, Bigelow Cut Energy Use
J.R. Simplot Company’s various energy-efficiency improvements have saved the company 390,821,028 kWh of electricity and prevented 95,056 tons of GHG emissions since 2009, the Idaho Statesman reports.
The food, fertilizer and chemical company has reduced its electricity and natural gas usage in the past almost four years by adjusting boilers in plants to run in idle mode when not in use and other measures, according to the newspaper. Simplot has also installed motion sensors and other energy-efficient lighting fixtures in offices, and controlled water use at its Don fertilizer plant in Pocatello, Idaho.
In June, Simplot joined the White House’s Better Buildings Challenge, pledging to cut building energy use at least 20 percent by 2020, Environmental Leader reports.
In 2010, two of Simplot’s plants were among the first food processing plants in the nation to be Energy Star rated.
Meanwhile, R.C. Bigelow expects to save 92,609 kWh per year with its new compressed air system, according to the Idaho Statesman. The tea company has replaced a heatless desiccant dryer with an oversized refrigerated dryer, and an older compressor with a larger-capacity variable-speed compressor.
The new system, which cost $17,026, adjusts to load demands and maintains a consistent line pressure, the newspaper says.
Earlier this week, Rezidor, a member of the Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group, announced a group-wide energy-saving initiative — Think Planet — to reduce energy consumption 25 percent by 2016 in all Rezidor hotels across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The group is currently in 70 countries where more than 330 hotels of the brands Radisson Blu, Park Inn by Radisson and Hotel Missoni are operated, and 100 further properties are under development.
- Six Essential Steps to Drive Effective Energy Management
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Top 3 Reasons to Calculate Your Environmental Footprint
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Reporting for Commercial Real Estate: GRESB
- Integrating sustainability into your ERM framework
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement