Singapore Government Outlines Energy Efficiency Plans
Buildings and households in Singapore consume about 50 percent of the country’s electricity, so finding ways to reduce energy use has become a priority of the Singapore government. To that end, the government announced five national energy technology roadmaps at the inaugural Energy Technology Roadmap Symposium, according to an article in Data Center Dynamics. The roadmaps are part of the Energy National Innovation Challenge (ENIC) announced in 2011 to bring changes to Singapore’s energy landscape.
Funding has been announced for two of the initiatives: The Building Energy Efficiency Research Development and Demonstration Hub will be implemented and managed by the Building and Construction Authority (BCA); and the Green Data Center Research Hub Program will be managed by the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA). Each initiative will receive $40 million in funding.
The three other national energy technology roadmaps cover solar photovoltaic technology, carbon capture, storage and use, and industry energy efficiency. The roadmaps were developed in collaboration with industry stakeholders, academic experts and technical consultants, and will be led by public agencies including the BCA, the Economic Development Board (EDB), the Energy Market Authority (EMA), IDA, the National Environmental Agency (NEA) and the National Climate Change Secretariat (NCCS).
The goals of the ENIC are to develop cost-competitive energy solutions that can be deployed within 20 years to improve Singapore’s energy efficiency, reduce its carbon emissions and broaden its energy options to sustain economic growth. The roadmaps will guide government agencies in formulating their technology master plans and funding initiatives.
Photo via Shutterstock.
- Get Smarter About Your Energy Procurement Data Book
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Best Practices in Electricity Procurement
- Gartner Magic Quadrant