Smart Grid Project Combines Battery Storage With Wind Generation
Samsung SDI and Xtreme Power have been selected by the Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies (CCET) to install a 1 MW/1 MWh lithium ion-based battery energy storage system (BESS) at the Reese Technology Center in Lubbock, Texas, as part of a $27 million smart grid demonstration project.
BESS will be owned and operated by South Plains Electric Cooperative as one of several project technologies to serve the smart grid demonstration project’s objective of wind integration.
The Samsung SDI and Xtreme Power BESS will be connected to the electric co-op’s distribution grid at the Reese Technology Center as part of an ongoing wind technology program. The BESS will focus on combing utility scale energy storage with wind generation. Potential uses for the BESS include mitigating intermittent fluctuations of a number of nearby wind turbines, regulating the distribution bus voltage, serving as spinning reserve, and providing frequency support during the loss of generation.
The project marks the first order for the newly formed Samsung SDI/Xtreme Power alliance. Coupling Samsung SDI’s lithium manganese oxide battery with Xtreme Power’s Xtreme active control technology, the two firms have partnered to create an energy storage solution for renewable integration and grid support.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, CCET is a non-profit that facilitates electric industry, technology company and university collaboration for the purpose of enhancing the Texas electric transmission and distribution system through research, development and commercialization of emerging technologies.
The demonstration project is jointly funded by CCET partners and the US Department of Energy as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and is managed by CCET.
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Getting It Right: Evaluating, Deploying EMIS Software
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room