Smart Grid Project Combines Battery Storage With Wind Generation
Samsung SDI and Xtreme Power have been selected by the Center for the Commercialization of Electric Technologies (CCET) to install a 1 MW/1 MWh lithium ion-based battery energy storage system (BESS) at the Reese Technology Center in Lubbock, Texas, as part of a $27 million smart grid demonstration project.
BESS will be owned and operated by South Plains Electric Cooperative as one of several project technologies to serve the smart grid demonstration project’s objective of wind integration.
The Samsung SDI and Xtreme Power BESS will be connected to the electric co-op’s distribution grid at the Reese Technology Center as part of an ongoing wind technology program. The BESS will focus on combing utility scale energy storage with wind generation. Potential uses for the BESS include mitigating intermittent fluctuations of a number of nearby wind turbines, regulating the distribution bus voltage, serving as spinning reserve, and providing frequency support during the loss of generation.
The project marks the first order for the newly formed Samsung SDI/Xtreme Power alliance. Coupling Samsung SDI’s lithium manganese oxide battery with Xtreme Power’s Xtreme active control technology, the two firms have partnered to create an energy storage solution for renewable integration and grid support.
Headquartered in Austin, Texas, CCET is a non-profit that facilitates electric industry, technology company and university collaboration for the purpose of enhancing the Texas electric transmission and distribution system through research, development and commercialization of emerging technologies.
The demonstration project is jointly funded by CCET partners and the US Department of Energy as part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and is managed by CCET.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Enterprise Internet Of Things: What Is It, and How Will It Improve Energy Management?
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- There’s Money in the Trash
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- Addressing Regulatory Trends with UVC LED-based Sensors
- Practical Insights into the Implementation of GHS Around the Globe
- A Roadmap for Effective Process Safety Management
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity