Smart Lighting System Integral to ‘Most Sustainable Office Building’
The Edge office building in Amsterdam was awarded an Outstanding rating with the highest recorded BREEAM score of 98.36 percent and is now known as the most sustainable office building in the world. BREEAM is the Building Research Establishment Environmental Assessment Method for buildings – an environmental rating system for buildings in Europe.
HC RT, based in The Netherlands, completed the building automation and systems integration work for The Edge, a 431,000-sq-foot, 13 story building. The building automation system includes the Philips Ethernet-powered LED connected lighting system (CLS).
The CLS contains more than 6,000 fixtures and uses the building’s lighting infrastructure for more than just illumination. Every second fixture is equipped with a multi-sensor that measures movement, light, temperature and infrared. Each fixture is uniquely identified and integrated into the IT network of the building. As a result, when an office floor is empty, for example, the system can switch all the lighting off and set ventilation to a minimum. When someone arrives in an office space, the CLS automatically provides 300 lux of illumination and adjusts the ventilation to the desired level. The CLS offers employees the ability to individually regulate the climate and lighting in their workspaces through a smartphone application. The app also enables occupants to view and monitor their sustainable behavior.
In addition, the CLS gathers comprehensive data, processes it with analytics software and presents the information to the facility manager on a dashboard.
Other energy features of the Edge include solar panels located on the southern façade and on the roof and an aquifer thermal energy storage system that provides heating and cooling for the building. The solar panels generate electricity to power cell phones and laptops using wireless charging stations and even recharge electric cars.
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- There’s Money in the Trash