Smart Meters Invade Privacy, Says Documentary
While the energy industry enthusiastically rolls out more smart meters nationwide, there’s a segment of the population that does not like smart meters, at all.
A crowd-funded documentary, Take Back Your Power, explores the controversy over smart meters. An online trailer is promoting the documentary, which premiers digitally on September 5.
The documentary claims smart meters can allow utilities to overcharge; can invasively monitor other electronic devices in the home or business; and can cause serious health risks.
Directed and produced by filmmaker Josh Del Sol, Take Back Your Power offers a blend of interviews with energy experts, government representatives, regulatory agencies, community activists, consumer rights organizations and consumers. The film also includes footage of utility workers installing smart meters against homeowner consent. And the film-makers say the documentary shows severe property damage caused by technical problems with these devices, documented illnesses, and inaccurate power-bill hikes.
Due to a rising tide of opposition to smart meters, utilities in more than a dozen US states now offer opt-out programs to their customers, although most charge an additional fee, according to the filmakers.
“We want to change how the energy corporations are working with their customers and instill a practice of transparency, accountability and fairness,” said Josh Del Sol.
- 2015 Insider Knowledge
- Practical Guide to Transforming Energy Data into Better Buildings
- Operationalizing EHS Management: Bridge the Gap from Strategy to Execution
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- Building Energy Benchmarking & Transparency Laws
- Energy Manager Today Awards Top Products and Top Projects of the Year
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards