Solar Contracts: Patterson, California; Bellingham, Massachusetts
The City of Patterson, Calif., has entered into an agreement with Chevron Energy Solutions, which will include solar installations and energy efficiency programs such as replacing streetlights with LED fixtures.
Chevron Energy Solutions will install solar panels to generate power for the city’s sewage treatment plants, corporation yard, and senior and aquatic centers. It is anticipated the solar installations will provide over 90 percent of the facilities’ energy requirements. Changing streetlights to more efficient LED fixtures is also expected to save over $200,000 per year in electricity expense.
In addition, the city and Chevron Energy Solutions have engaged WattzOn, a community-based energy-efficiency non-profit, to help residents and business owners identify free and low-cost ways to reduce their energy use through free energy audits. The collaboration, to be called The Capacity Project, will also build workforce capacity in cleantech and energy by training and hiring Patterson high school students as energy auditors, being paid $14/hour.
In other news, Washington Gas Energy Systems has signed a contract with the town of Bellingham, Mass., to build, own and operate a 3,802-kW solar array to provide an expected annual output of 4,800 MWh renewable energy for the town. The ground-mounted installation will consist of 12,672 panels. Washington Gas Energy Systems will own and operate the solar facility under a 20-year power purchase agreement. The project was developed by NextSun Energy and will be engineered and constructed by Gehrlicher Solar. Construction of the project began in March 2013 and will be complete in late June 2013.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- Evaluation Guide: Four Steps to a Successful Lighting Evaluation
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Smarter Asset Management for the Nuclear Power Imperative
- LED Myths and Facts
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing