Solar: Kerman California Wastewater Treatment, Western University of Health Sciences, GM Transmission Plant
ConEdison Solutions and Borrego Solar Systems dedicated a 1,680-panel solar system at Kerman, Calif.’s wastewater treatment plant (pictured). The installation is expected to reduce the treatment plant’s electricity costs by about 40 percent per year for an annual savings of more than $95,000. Through a 20-year power purchase agreement with ConEdison Solutions, the half-megawatt solar facility will supply 70 percent of the plant’s electricity and generate 940,000 kWh annually. The installation required zero upfront capital expense from the treatment plant.
Western University of Health Sciences in Pomona, Calif., hired Conergy to build a 672 kW photovoltaic power plant. The project will consist of three roof-top solar installations and one carport solar array. Conergy is acting as general contractor responsible for the planning and engineering of the project as well as for its construction and the supply of the components. Washington Gas Energy Systems is the investor and plant operator, and the project developer is Green Energy Group. WesternU expects to produce about 18 percent of its electricity through the new PV system comprised of more than 2,600 solar modules. The university will be self-consuming 100 percent of the generated electricity via a 20-year PPA with Washington Gas Energy Systems.
General Motors says a 1.8 MW rooftop solar array at its Toledo Transmission plant in Ohio will be completed next month. The project – with 21,000 solar panels – will generate nearly 3 percent of the plant’s overall electricity consumption. By the end of 2013, GM says it will have more than 40 MW of solar energy installed at its facilities globally.
- Just the Facts: 8 Popular Misconceptions about LEDs & Controls
- 6 for 2016: Global Energy Market Trends
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation