Solar: Owens Corning Builds 2.6 MW On-Site, Suniva Expands Module Operations, Walmart Celebrates Mass. Solar
Building materials manufacturer Owens Corning is building a 2.6 MW (DC) solar generation project at its thermal and acoustical insulation plant in Delmar, NY. Scheduled for completion in late 2013, the solar project is designed to supply more than 6 percent of the plant’s annual electricity needs.
Constellation will finance, build, own and maintain the system. Electricity generated by the system will be purchased by Owens Corning under a 20-year power purchase agreement with Constellation.
The solar power system will be composed of about 9,000 ground-mounted PV panels located on more than nine acres. The system is expected to generate approximately 3.3 million kWh per year.
The project is supported in part through the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to develop and construct large-scale solar projects in New York state under Gov. Cuomo’s New York Sun initiative. In March 2013, Gov. Cuomo announced funding through the competitive program, which will help bring an additional 52 MW of solar capacity to the state.
In other news, Suniva is expanding its solar module assembly to 24/7 operations at its Norcross, Ga., headquarters in response to strong demand for its modules. Suniva says it is sold out of capacity for Q2. The company will hire 48 new employees in both supervisory and line positions to meet its growing manufacturing needs.
Walmart completed eight new solar PV arrays in Massachusetts. With almost 10,000 panels, the solar arrays throughout the state will provide 2.8 million kWh annually. Greenskies Renewable Energy is the installer and owner of the systems, partnering with Walmart through a power purchase agreement. The inverter for the solar PV arrays is from Massachusetts-based Solectria Renewables.
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement