Solar: Owens Corning Builds 2.6 MW On-Site, Suniva Expands Module Operations, Walmart Celebrates Mass. Solar
Building materials manufacturer Owens Corning is building a 2.6 MW (DC) solar generation project at its thermal and acoustical insulation plant in Delmar, NY. Scheduled for completion in late 2013, the solar project is designed to supply more than 6 percent of the plant’s annual electricity needs.
Constellation will finance, build, own and maintain the system. Electricity generated by the system will be purchased by Owens Corning under a 20-year power purchase agreement with Constellation.
The solar power system will be composed of about 9,000 ground-mounted PV panels located on more than nine acres. The system is expected to generate approximately 3.3 million kWh per year.
The project is supported in part through the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) to develop and construct large-scale solar projects in New York state under Gov. Cuomo’s New York Sun initiative. In March 2013, Gov. Cuomo announced funding through the competitive program, which will help bring an additional 52 MW of solar capacity to the state.
In other news, Suniva is expanding its solar module assembly to 24/7 operations at its Norcross, Ga., headquarters in response to strong demand for its modules. Suniva says it is sold out of capacity for Q2. The company will hire 48 new employees in both supervisory and line positions to meet its growing manufacturing needs.
Walmart completed eight new solar PV arrays in Massachusetts. With almost 10,000 panels, the solar arrays throughout the state will provide 2.8 million kWh annually. Greenskies Renewable Energy is the installer and owner of the systems, partnering with Walmart through a power purchase agreement. The inverter for the solar PV arrays is from Massachusetts-based Solectria Renewables.
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- NAEM Research Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Case Study: Dassault Falcon Jet Taps Intelligent LED Lighting Solutions
- Gartner Magic Quadrant
- How to Thrive in Today's EHS Landscape
- Mobility from the Plant Floor to the Store Door: Improve Safety, Accuracy and Productivity
- Migration to Mobile: The Evolution of EHS Management Tools