Solar-Powered Air Conditioners Not Tied to Grid
Green Power Resource Management (GPRM) plans to start volume production of its solar powered air conditioner and virtual power plant in its new manufacturing facility in Escondido, Calif.
The packaged unit provides cooling, AC power out, and backup energy powered directly from solar panels for residential and small commercial buildings.
The GPRM 100 solar powered air conditioner and virtual power plant runs directly off solar panels, a wind turbine, batteries or the AC power in a home or office. It also provides renewable energy to other devices like a TV, lights, refrigerator or a computer even when the grid is down.
“Typical solar installations are grid-tied and do not provide power when the grid goes down, said Ralph Ciarlanti, GPRM CFO. “Most customers do not know this.”
Ciarlanti explained that the solar modules themselves are often powered by AC power coming in from the grid via a switching device at the master panel. It’s somewhat ironic that solar panels can generate electricity, but often need a little grid power to operate.
The GPRM 100 introductory package includes: 13,500 BTU/hr cooling capacity (up to 1,000 SF depending on energy efficiency of structure), battery backup providing 450 Ah of power, and two plug-in receptacles providing 1,500 W/hr ac power out. Larger batteries and power options available.
GPRM’s target markets for its patent pending environmental control system include residential and small commercial spaces such as offices, schools, off-grid applications such as military, mining and drilling, forestry, and telecom cell towers.
GPRM is using the Kickstarter crowdfunding method to help introduce the product.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- 2013-20114 Winter Polar Vortex
- Integrated Building Optimization
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Sustainability Careers: Unlocking Hidden Employment Potential
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement