Solar PV Generation Reaches the Mainstream
According to an article in the New York Times, near the end of 2012, installed global photovoltaic generating capacity passed the milestone of 100 GW, according to a recent report by the European Photovoltaic Industry Association (EPIA).
Europe has most of global installed photovoltaic capacity, or about 80 GW. Of that, 35 GW is in Germany, which provides about 7 percent of its electricity.
The use of feed-in tariffs has been one of the drivers, but not without controversy. Rising power prices have been blamed on generous support for renewable energy. Governments are now cutting the subsidy, which renewable energy advocates say threatens the industry’s existence.
The world has installed 130 GW of PV, up from 1.4 GW in 2000, the Times said.
With large-volume installation, economies of scale have substantially reduced unit costs.
According to a report by the EPIA, PV costs have dropped 22 percent with every doubling of production capacity.
In Germany, rooftop systems that cost $70 per watt a decade ago are now $1.34, with the back-up system, the inverter, and the cost of installation.
In other countries, like in the United States, it’s about a factor of two to three times more expensive.
And as quoted in the Times, the European Environment Agency, Europe had already achieved an emissions reduction of 18 percent by last year, putting it on course to overshoot the 2020 target, even if the E.U. economy recovers by then.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- LED Myths and Facts
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- 2014 Energy and Sustainability Predictions: Findings from Leading Professionals
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- ARC Brief: Infrastructure: The Hidden Optimization Opportunity
- Expert Q and A: Tips for Automating your Energy Data
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing