Solar Roundup: Washington Gas Energy, Sol Systems, Cargill, TEVA Energy
Cargill and TEVA Energy commissioned a solar energy system at Cargill’s Fresno, Calif., beef processing plant to pre-heat water used throughout the plant for food safety and sanitation purposes. This solar energy recovery system is coupled with an existing methane recovery system installed several years ago, boosting renewable energy usage at the plant.
System performance is being monitored in real time by TEVA Energy, Cargill and the state’s California Solar Initiative program through remote metering as well as on-site monitoring equipment. TEVA and its financier, Skyline Innovations, installed and own the solar system. To finance the project, TEVA and Skyline aggregate incentives with the income stream from the solar energy sold to Cargill at rates below their natural gas rates.
Washington Gas Energy Systems has contracted to build, own and operate three new solar arrays through a financing partnership with Sol Systems. The photovoltaic systems will power the Turtle Bay Resort in Oahu, Hawaii, the KIPP School in Washington, DC, and Presbyterian Senior Living Services in Glen Arm, Md. Washington Gas Energy Systems will own and operate the solar systems under 20-year power purchase agreements. Sol Systems acted as an investment advisor to Washington Gas Energy Systems for these projects to bring solar electricity through third-party financing.
The KIPP School system will be a 227 kW DC solar paneled carport. Presbyterian Senior Living Services will utilize a 1,230 kW DC ground-mounted system, and the Oahu Turtle Bay Resort will make use of a 402 kW DC roof-mounted system. When completed between September and December of 2013, the solar arrays are expected to produce a significant portion of the energy required to power each organization on an annual basis.
- 2014 Insider Knowledge Report
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- 6 Steps from Getting the Most From Every Lighting Retrofit
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- Energy Efficiency Ratings: Benchmarks that Drive Excellence in Building Design & Operations
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement