Solar Roundup: Washington Gas Energy, Sol Systems, Cargill, TEVA Energy
Cargill and TEVA Energy commissioned a solar energy system at Cargill’s Fresno, Calif., beef processing plant to pre-heat water used throughout the plant for food safety and sanitation purposes. This solar energy recovery system is coupled with an existing methane recovery system installed several years ago, boosting renewable energy usage at the plant.
System performance is being monitored in real time by TEVA Energy, Cargill and the state’s California Solar Initiative program through remote metering as well as on-site monitoring equipment. TEVA and its financier, Skyline Innovations, installed and own the solar system. To finance the project, TEVA and Skyline aggregate incentives with the income stream from the solar energy sold to Cargill at rates below their natural gas rates.
Washington Gas Energy Systems has contracted to build, own and operate three new solar arrays through a financing partnership with Sol Systems. The photovoltaic systems will power the Turtle Bay Resort in Oahu, Hawaii, the KIPP School in Washington, DC, and Presbyterian Senior Living Services in Glen Arm, Md. Washington Gas Energy Systems will own and operate the solar systems under 20-year power purchase agreements. Sol Systems acted as an investment advisor to Washington Gas Energy Systems for these projects to bring solar electricity through third-party financing.
The KIPP School system will be a 227 kW DC solar paneled carport. Presbyterian Senior Living Services will utilize a 1,230 kW DC ground-mounted system, and the Oahu Turtle Bay Resort will make use of a 402 kW DC roof-mounted system. When completed between September and December of 2013, the solar arrays are expected to produce a significant portion of the energy required to power each organization on an annual basis.
- Combined Heat and Power
- 2015 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- The Future of Operational Risk Management: The Oil & Gas and Chemicals Approach
- Improve Your Company's Environment and Energy Performance
- Unlocking the Value of Energy & Operational Data
- NAEM 2015 EHS and Sustainability Software Buyers Guide
- Let's Do The Math for DR
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Solar Request for Proposal (RFP) Guide
- Increase the Value of Demand Response Through Automation
- Connected Buildings, Connected People: A Look to the Future
- Cut Costs and Improve Facility Operations with Energy Data
- Energy Procurement Strategies for Winter 2014 and 2015
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies