Solar Roundup: Washington Gas Energy, Sol Systems, Cargill, TEVA Energy
Cargill and TEVA Energy commissioned a solar energy system at Cargill’s Fresno, Calif., beef processing plant to pre-heat water used throughout the plant for food safety and sanitation purposes. This solar energy recovery system is coupled with an existing methane recovery system installed several years ago, boosting renewable energy usage at the plant.
System performance is being monitored in real time by TEVA Energy, Cargill and the state’s California Solar Initiative program through remote metering as well as on-site monitoring equipment. TEVA and its financier, Skyline Innovations, installed and own the solar system. To finance the project, TEVA and Skyline aggregate incentives with the income stream from the solar energy sold to Cargill at rates below their natural gas rates.
Washington Gas Energy Systems has contracted to build, own and operate three new solar arrays through a financing partnership with Sol Systems. The photovoltaic systems will power the Turtle Bay Resort in Oahu, Hawaii, the KIPP School in Washington, DC, and Presbyterian Senior Living Services in Glen Arm, Md. Washington Gas Energy Systems will own and operate the solar systems under 20-year power purchase agreements. Sol Systems acted as an investment advisor to Washington Gas Energy Systems for these projects to bring solar electricity through third-party financing.
The KIPP School system will be a 227 kW DC solar paneled carport. Presbyterian Senior Living Services will utilize a 1,230 kW DC ground-mounted system, and the Oahu Turtle Bay Resort will make use of a 402 kW DC roof-mounted system. When completed between September and December of 2013, the solar arrays are expected to produce a significant portion of the energy required to power each organization on an annual basis.
- Guide to Energy, Carbon and Environmental Software
- Environmental Leader Technology Reviews
- 2013 Insider Knowledge
- The Logistics, Carbon, and Business Data Book: Fall 2012 Sustainability Trends
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Beyond Equipment Management by Spreadsheets
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- 5 Must-Have Utility Billing Alerts
- The Business Case for Corporate Sustainability Tools
- Facilities & Maintenance Management Best Practices
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing
- Control the Balance of Power: The Future of Intelligent Energy Systems