Solar Update: Cider Maker Goes Solar, Arizona School Builds Solar Carports
Woodchuck Cidery in Middlebury, Vt., is getting 10-15 percent of its power from a nearby solar farm, consisting of 26 solar trackers that produce 210,000 kWh per year. AllEarth Renewables based in Williston, Vt., makes the solar trackers. Woodchuck Cidery also participate in the Cow Power program run by Green Mountain Power in Vermont, which turns cow manure into energy. The cidery pays a premium of 25 percent for its power to help fund the program.
In other news, Constellation and the Somerton School District completed an aggregate 1.6 MW (DC) solar generation project in Yuma County, Ariz. Located at five sites – Desert Sonora Elementary School, Orange Grove Elementary School, Somerton Middle School, Tierra del Sol Elementary School and Valle del Encanto Learning Center – the installations are expected to collectively generate enough electricity to meet approximately 60 percent of the schools’ electricity needs. Constellation owns and maintains the solar systems. Somerton School District purchases the electricity generated by the solar panels from Constellation under a 20-year solar services agreement. The system is composed of about 6,600 PV panels located on 10 carports and eight shade structures and is expected to generate about 2.3 million kWh per year. The solar project was initially developed by Kennedy Partners and Smart Energy Capital, and built by CORE Construction. The installation was facilitated, in part, by the APS Renewable Energy Incentive Program.
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- How to Automate the Collection & Delivery of Utility Billing Data
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- The Impact of a Changing Workforce on Facilities Management
- An Integrated Approach to Managing Today's Energy and Utility Assets
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts
- Energy Optimization from the Boiler Room to the Board Room
- Your Roadmap for Energy Management: First Stop – Myths & Realities of Energy Purchasing