Solar Update: City of Lemoore Builds 3 MW, Sanitary District Installs 1.1 MW
The City of Lemoore, Calif., and Chevron Energy Solutions are starting construction of a solar installation to power domestic water wells, a wastewater treatment plant, the Cinnamon Municipal Complex, Police Department, and several other facilities throughout the city. The project is expected to generate over 3 MW of electricity and reduce purchases from the electric utility by close to 100 percent for most of the facilities included.
Over its life, and after paying all its costs, the City of Lemoore is expected to save close to $45 million. It is expected the project will be completed in May, 2014. This will be the third project Chevron Energy Solutions has undertaken for the City of Lemoore in the past 5 years.
Ironhouse Sanitary District has selected Real Goods Solar to deploy a 1.1 MW solar power system at its water recycling facility and administration building in Oakley, Calif. Real Goods will design, install, monitor and maintain the system at the water recycling facility and the administration building. The installation will be comprised of a 1 MW single-axis tracking system and 60 kW carport system, which will generate more than 2.3 million kWh per year to power the facilities. Construction is scheduled to begin in the fall of 2013 and be completed in the first quarter of 2014.
The sanitary district’s current electrical cost for these facilities is more than $600,000 per year, but the solar system is expected to reduce the company’s cost of electricity by at least $95,000 in the first year. Smart Energy Capital brokered a power purchase agreement between the sanitary district and Constellation Energy Group, which allows the district to purchase the energy generated on site at less than market rates while funding 100 percent of the installation cost.
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- 2016 Environmental Leader Product & Project Awards
- Strategies for a Successful EHS&S Software Selection
- Financing Environmental Resiliency and a Low-Carbon Future with Green Bonds
- Choosing the Correct Emission Control Technology
- Top 10 Steps for a Successful EMIS Project