Solar Update: Occidental College Deploys ‘Artful’ Solar; Indianapolis Airport Begins Solar Phase 2
Martifer Solar USA has completed a 1.142 MW solar PV system – a combination of a parking lot carport and a hillside ground-mount – at Occidental College in Los Angeles, and the installation incorporates elements of art into the design. Kara Bartelt of Lettuce, a Los Angeles architecture firm, conceptualized the elliptical pattern of the hillside portion of the installation. The carport portion of the system consists of 1,380 panels, which feature three electric car chargers as well as an art panel installed on the underside of the array for fire safety. It will allow for shaded parking for up to 94 faculty and students. The 3,586-panel ground-mount portion of the system was custom-built by Martifer Solar USA. The total system will save Occidental College about $250,000 per year in electricity costs.
The Indianapolis Airport Authority has selected a joint venture group between two locally owned companies, Johnson Melloh Solutions and Telamon, to develop a second 10 MW solar farm on Indianapolis International Airport (IND) property. Bulldog Energy Airport and Indy Airport Solar Project II will co-develop, finance, design, construct, and operate the facility on land leased from the IAA, directly west of the phase 1 solar farm currently under construction. Design and utility interconnection studies are already approved, and construction could begin as early as the third quarter of 2013. Combined phase I and phase II projects will exceed 20 megawatts.
- What You Need to Know About Demand Charges
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Choosing the Right LED Product for Industrial Lighting Applications
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Cox Enterprises Cuts Energy Costs Up to 10-15% in Certain Markets
- Act Local, Think Global: To Drive Agrifood Supply Chain Sustainability
- How "Fixed" is the Fixed Price Product?
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- 24 Hour Fitness Trims Waste Costs Through an Effective Waste Recycling Program
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement
- Smart Building Technology: The Key to Comprehensive Building Performance
- What Energy Managers Need to know about Procuring Natural Gas: Guidance for 2014 Natural Gas Contracts