Solar Update: Occidental College Deploys ‘Artful’ Solar; Indianapolis Airport Begins Solar Phase 2
Martifer Solar USA has completed a 1.142 MW solar PV system – a combination of a parking lot carport and a hillside ground-mount – at Occidental College in Los Angeles, and the installation incorporates elements of art into the design. Kara Bartelt of Lettuce, a Los Angeles architecture firm, conceptualized the elliptical pattern of the hillside portion of the installation. The carport portion of the system consists of 1,380 panels, which feature three electric car chargers as well as an art panel installed on the underside of the array for fire safety. It will allow for shaded parking for up to 94 faculty and students. The 3,586-panel ground-mount portion of the system was custom-built by Martifer Solar USA. The total system will save Occidental College about $250,000 per year in electricity costs.
The Indianapolis Airport Authority has selected a joint venture group between two locally owned companies, Johnson Melloh Solutions and Telamon, to develop a second 10 MW solar farm on Indianapolis International Airport (IND) property. Bulldog Energy Airport and Indy Airport Solar Project II will co-develop, finance, design, construct, and operate the facility on land leased from the IAA, directly west of the phase 1 solar farm currently under construction. Design and utility interconnection studies are already approved, and construction could begin as early as the third quarter of 2013. Combined phase I and phase II projects will exceed 20 megawatts.
- Four Key Questions to Ask Before Your Next Energy Purchase
- Advanced Rooftop-Unit Control (ARC) Retrofits: Field Demonstrations Validate Energy Savings
- eBook: Five Key Considerations for Integrating Renewables into Your Procurement Strategy
- Improve Occupant Comfort & Reduce Energy Costs Through Humidity Control
- The New Energy Future - Challenges and Opportunities in Corporate Energy Management
- 2016 Energy and Sustainability Predictions Findings from Facilities Professionals
- How the IoT is Reshaping Building Automation
- 10 Tactics of Successful Energy Managers
- 2013-2014 Winter Polar Vortex
- The Corporate Sustainability Professional's Guide to Better Data Management