Solar Update: Solar Skylight, Wireless Airfield Lighting, IKEA Rooftop Array, Ascent Solar Charging
Sun Tunnel has introduced its VELUX Solar Powered Skylight (pictured), which provides an energy efficient way to add daylight, fresh air and cooling to buildings. The solar skylight needs no wiring and can be installed facing any direction and is fully operational even in indirect light. An acoustic rain sensor system automatically closes the skylight in case of inclement weather, and with no electricity required, the skylight can be closed even in the event of a complete lack of power. Sun Tunnel says its skylight brings in twice the daylight of a vertical window without compromising privacy. The solar skylight can be ordered with one of eight blind options factory installed and comes fully operational with one unified remote.
In a public bid worth $175,000, Carmanah Technologies’ solar airfield products, including solar-powered runway edge and threshold lights, taxiway lights and obstruction lights and mounting hardware have been selected by the US Marine Corps for deployment in support of Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa. The Carmanah A704 wireless runway edge lights, A650 taxiway lights, and A650 obstruction lights avoid cabling costs, and the mobile lights are also immune to grid failures or instability. The solar products feature remote monitoring and control, infrared capability, and high intensity technology optimized for Northern latitudes. In 2013, Carmanah supplied hundreds of taxiway and runway lights for US Air Force bases in Colorado, Kansas, Arizona, Mississippi and Delaware. In 2012, Carmanah launched the A704-H; a high-intensity solar LED airfield light that meets standards for medium-intensity runway lighting and high intensity runway lighting up to 500 candela (in white). It is also capable of Infrared modes for Night Vision Goggle operation and is ideal for deployment in permanent or temporary airfields and helipads and as backup emergency lighting systems.
IKEA activated the solar energy system installed at its distribution center in Perryville, Md. The 768,972-sq-foot rooftop PV array consists of a 2,674.9 kW system, built with 18,576 panels. The IKEA distribution center will produce approximately 3.4 million kWh annually. The installation represents the 36th completed solar project for IKEA in the US, with three more locations underway, making the eventual US solar presence of IKEA nearly 90 percent of its US locations with a total generation of 38 MW. IKEA owns and operates each of its solar PV energy systems atop its buildings – as opposed to a solar lease or power purchase agreement. For the development, design and installation of the Perryville distribution center’s solar power system, IKEA contracted with Inovateus Solar.
Ascent Solar Technologies’ entire EnerPlex series of consumer solar-integrated products is now available at all Fry’s Electronics retail locations, as well as online. EnerPlex provides consumers with charging solutions for their portable electronics. Surfr, a line of solar- and battery-integrated phone cases, allows users to charge their phone anywhere and in cases of emergency. Kickr provides charging for most USB-enabled devices. With the addition of the Jumpr line of portable batteries, consumers now have a complete, integrated, solar charging and storage solution while on the go.
- 2014 Environmental Leader Product and Project Awards
- Smart Companies Utilize Integrated Energy Solutions
- NAEM Trends Report: Planning for a Sustainable Future
- Integrated Building Optimization
- Trends in Energy Management: Where Should Your Next Investment Be?
- EHS Managers: The Evolution from Necessary Evil to Vital Leaders
- The CFO and the Sustainability Reporting Chain
- Alarms Management: The Future is Now
- Essential Guide to Lighting Retrofits and Upgrades
- How to Use Lean Tools to Cash In On Environmental and Energy Savings
- Energy Efficiency Requires Engineering Efficiency
- Integrated Building Optimization: A Crucial Convergence of Demand-side and Supply-Side Energy Management Strategies
- Driving Productivity and Profit with Industrial Energy Management
- Energy Procurement in 2014: Products & Programs to Optimize Savings
- BUYING STRATEGIES IN A VOLATILE MARKET: What Businesses Need to Know about Retail Electricity Procurement